This article is Celebrity Ascent Naming Ceremony. It is about the official naming of Celebrity’s newest ship in Fort Lauderdale on December 1, 2023.
The featured image is from Celebrity Cruises.
It is an exciting week for cruises in Florida with two new ships being formally named.
Earlier this week Norwegian Viva was named in Miami.
On Friday, December 1, 2023, Celebrity Cruises held the naming ceremony for Ascent the newest Edge Class ship.
I am excited to get to sail on Celebrity Ascent on the December 3, 2023 sailing.
Celebrity Ascent is an Edge Class ship that features the iconic Magic Carpet which serves as a restaurant/bar as well as part of the Destination Gateway for tender operations.
The ship is 140,600 gross tons and offers accommodations for 3,260 guests.
The ship offers two famous brother captains who are legendary from the Celebrity Fleet: Captain Tasos Kafetzis and Captain Dimitrios Kafetzis.
Ascent is homeported in the winter in Fort Lauderdale and offers seven night cruises to the Caribbean. In addition, Celebrity Ascent offers European cruises in the summer.
The final ship in the Edge Class is Celebrity Xcel which is debuting in 2025.
The new Celebrity Ascent offers the following key features:
- The Retreat, the suite guest private getaway offering dining, two story sun deck, a lounge as well as luxury accommodations as a ship-within-a-ship concept.
- Room options from two story Villas to Infinite Veranda rooms that offer more outdoor space that blends indoor and outdoor experience.
- An expanded Rooftop Garden and stunning Resort Deck featuring unique cantilevered float pools;
- A multi-level, multi-terraced Sunset Bar at the ship’s aft;
- Amazing entertainment including six unique shows in the theater as well as in the imaginative Eden space.
- Aqua Class guests can dine at the indoor and outdoor Blu restaurant and experience the thermal suites of the spa during their voyages
- Gourmet dining at Le Voyage by Chef Daniel Boulud;
- And, the return of the Magic Carpet®, an engineering feat soaring cantilevered above the sea, offering guests uninterrupted vistas while sipping cocktails or having dinner.
The naming ceremony for Celebrity Ascent was held on the ships Resort Deck in a special ceremony for media and special guests on December 1, 2023.
Godmother sisters Captain Sandy Yawn, star of Bravo TV’s hit franchise, Below Deck, and her sister Michelle Dunham, Founder of the Jacksonville School for Autism, officially named the ship in a special ceremony in Fort Lauderdale.
The naming ceremony or christening of the ship is rich in maritime tradition including breaking a large bottle of champaign on the side of the ship.
The ceremony featured the President of Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and many special guests.
The Godmothers pressed the button that released the bottle to officially name the ship.
Adventure Awaits World Travel captured the ceremony with this YouTube video:
An exciting moment for Celebrity!
I look forward to sailing on Celebrity Ascent on December 3, 2023!
Read more about Celebrity Ascents naming ceremony in the press release from Celebrity Cruises here.